Another recipe originally from Robyn Russell's cookbook - 'More Gluten free and easy'. I changed the ingredients to make it dairy free.
This was my first time ever attempting to make custard from scratch, but it worked out perfectly. I love when things work out so well on the first try.
This is delicious to eat just as is, or serve with fresh fruit or with pies.
225ml coconut milk
225ml soya milk
115g caster sugar (I didn't have enough so used part plain granulated sugar and it worked fine)
1/2 tsp vanilla
30g dairy-free margarine
1) Place coconut milk, soya milk and sugar into a saucepan and stir over low heat until the sugar had dissolved, then leave for another few minutes, you may see bubbles start to form around the edges of the pan. Mine didn't, but if it is quite warm to dip your finger in, like almost too warm!, then it is ready. Take it off the heat.
2) Whisk the eggs and whisk in the cornflour until smooth.
3) Slowly pour the warm cream mixture into the eggs, whisking constantly.
4) Return to the saucepan and whisk continuously over low heat until thickened. Be patient, it may take several minutes, and then will suddenly get thick.
5) Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the vanilla, and then the margarine, a little at a time, until incorporated.
6) Pour into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming and set aside to cool.